Looking to sell your home but don’t know if you should make repairs first? Why not take the opportunity to impress your potential buyer and really wow them with the quality of your home. There are ten simple things you can fix that will leave a lasting impression on your prospective buyer.
1. Paint – A fresh coat of paint on the inside and out will do wonders for your home. Make sure that before you paint you make any repairs to the drywall or exterior wood. Take the opportunity the repair any damage before painting the home.
2. Floors – Make sure the carpet has been steam cleaned and free of any odors or pet stains. If the hardwood or tiles are damaged, make any needed repairs. Make sure the flooring isn’t squeaking. Fix any loose trim work.
3. Windows – Get any broken or damaged windows repaired. Replace any missing screens. If windows are not operational, have them repaired or replaced. Windows that will not open are a fire hazard and will be written up by the buyers home inspector.
4. Get appliances cleaned and verify that they are working properly. Soak the stove eye pans or replace them if needed. Verify that the dryer vents to the exterior of the home and that there are no obstructions to the vent pipe.
5. Remove any clutter from the garage and basement. Rent a storage building or a use a shed to store seasonal decorations. Throw away old newspapers and magazines.
6. Make certain the roof is not leaking. Common areas where roof leaks occur are around the vent stacks, roof vents, chimneys and flashing. It’s best to repair the areas if needed rather than not know a problem exists and the inspector finds it.
7. Check to be sure all the exhaust fans for the bathrooms and kitchen vent to the exterior. Generally these items will be vented to through the roof or in some cases the they are vented through an exterior wall.
8. Verify that there are no leaks in the sinks, plumbing fixtures, and faucets. Make sure the hot and cold lines are correct and that the sinks and counter tops are caulked.
9. Be certain no light bulbs are blown and that all the fixtures are working properly. Open shades and curtains to allow daylight to enter the room. Daylight will also make the room feel warmer even on cold days.
10. Make certain the fireplace is clean and in working order. If your house has a gas log insert, show it off. Light the fireplace so your buyers can see how it works and looks in the room.